Sunday, June 7, 2015

Easy and Fun Review!


Happy Sunday everyone! It has been so long since I have posted! I am happy to get back into the swing of things on here. I have spent the day working on my TPT store and planning for next week and am in the mood to post a great idea for end of the year review. 
In New York state we have about 3 weeks left of school. That means it's crunch time for us! My first graders have 2 more math units to get through and we are taking our test on the first one this Friday. Today I am going to share how we prepare for these tests.
2 days before the test I whip out my secret weapon! WRITING ON THE DESKS! I know I'm breaking the rules - but... the kids LOVE it! They are only allowed to use the dry erase markers on their desk when we review as a whole group, and we typically only use this method for math review. Doing it this way keeps it fresh and interesting. To this day I have yet to have one of my kiddos draw with dry erase markers on their desks outside of this designated time. 

I'd like to say that I came up with this idea on my own.. but I did not. I saw a post by The Tattooed Teacher explaining how she uses it and I decided to try it out. I was hesitant at first but do not regret doing it! You have to check out her post here. You can check out her blog by clicking on the button below.

Now, the first time we did this I set very strict ground rules. I have made a poster that outlines them that you can download for free! Just click on the picture below :) 

Here's a few pictures of what it looks like during our math review. I will say that blue and red do not erase as well. You might need to wipe down the desks with a wet wipe after. For me that's okay because our desks need a good cleaning and disinfecting each week!

To make it more fun I will go around after each question and give my students a star or a smiley face, they can give themselves points for each question they get right. They love to keep track, it really motivates them!
post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment